The Site > General discussion

GE Cobraheads

(1/4) > >>

NiMo:
Folks, with the number of lighting enthusiasts around here, there has been times where models are incorrectly labeled.  I'm not placing blame on anyone at all.  But I think a history of the GE cobraheads is in order.

Introduced in 1959, the M-400 (along with the original M-250 and M-1000) were GE's answer to Westinghouse's breakthrough OV-25.  Orange socket and reflector gaskets, along with a tabless door latch, silver color, and deep bowl refractor carried over from the Form-400 were the hallmarks of the earliest M-400s. The M-1000 basically held the same form as later models with a couple of exceptions.  There were no vent holes on the door and it sported a capacitor tank (for multiple circuit ballasts).  In addition, in 1962, a smaller luminaire replaced the M-250 which was basically the M-400 housing usually with the GE polycarbonate refractor.  This luminaire, the M250R, was smaller and took lamps from 100 watt to 250 watt mercury. Later on, as the luminaires evolved, the gaskets were grey and a thumb tab was added to the door latch, apparently due to complaints from utility companies at the time. Then, in 1965, the series was facelifted with a new light grey finish and eventually had new refractors equipped. The M-1000 also lost the capacitor tank as newer ballasts with smaller and multiple capacitors took their place and vent holes were on the doors. In addition, a companion model, the M-400A Powr/Door was introduced.  This model was different in that instead of a single lower housing door, the unit had two separate compartments.  One for the optics and one for the ballast, which was typically mounted on the door. (to be continued)

Form109:
i Thought the M-1000 Evolved from the Form 402?.....was there really such a thing as a GE Form 402?

NiMo:
We're dealing with the cobraheads, not the clamshells, but you are correct.  The M-400 uses the same glassware as the Form-400 and the M-1000 uses the same glassware as the later Form-402.

Silverliner14B:
Didn't the M250R come out a bit earlier than '62? Weren't the GE line updated in '64 with thumb latches? I once dated someone's M250R with thumb latch to be from late '64. The '70-'85 small GE was also called simply the M250R.

NiMo:

--- Quote from: Silverliner14B on November 29, 2010, 04:19:25 AM ---Didn't the M250R come out a bit earlier than '62? Weren't the GE line updated in '64 with thumb latches? I once dated someone's M250R with thumb latch to be from late '64. The '70-'85 small GE was also called simply the M250R.

--- End quote ---
The original M-250 was a medium housing with a polycarbonate refractor.  I think the thumb latches came around '63, but definately before the grey finish was introduced in '65.  As far as the M250R1, that was the model designation in the 1985-1986 catalogs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version