Lamps > Modern

3-way lamps question.

(1/3) > >>

Vince:
Most incandescent 3-way lamps says "Base-down only", but why exactly? Are they made differently than standard incandescent lamp? (Maybe something doesn't stand the heat in the base?)

Medved:
I guess the insulation clearance might cause troubles, when at higher temperature: At BU the base take all the hot air from the bulb...

Lumalux:
I always figured it had something to do with the filaments sagging and shorting out each other.

My mom has a bridge lamp with a 3-way socket and has never had any problems with that.

rjluna2:
The filament is close to lower part of the globe area and that is why they designed to burn the base down instead of the universal position.   Not like the general bulb where the filament is usually centered at the globe area....

Jace the Gull:
most of our today's 3 way lamps have vertical filaments. but I remember the old times, and some that I have in my collection that has horizontal filaments....but I got some EVEN older lamps that has filaments that forms in C shaped or a curved upward shapes with a lot of filament supports! I even have some Mazda lamps..that are 3 ways (most are dead actually)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version