Lamps > Modern

Sad news - The LED streetlight madness is going to infect Quebec

<< < (3/3)

Jace the Gull:
But I have known that lower mercury in HPS means shorter life in HPS....my friend who works as a lineman has found Philips HPS from 1997 (before the ALTO brand which is a lower mercury ones) had lasted 10 years in average! But starting 1998 and on had Philips ALTOs which are lower mercury amount in them, has a life span of 2-4 years.....I can bet the HG-Free HPS would really make lamp life go down even MORE! And the color rendering would be worse too...

dor123:
Jace: Don't compare the low mercury HPS with the HG-free HPS ones.
ALTO HPS lamps have the same characteristics as regular HPS lamps but with much lower mercury dose.
The HG-free HPS lamps is a different story. They have 300 torr xenon pressure compare to 50-80 torr of the regular and ALTO HPS lamps and a longer and thinner arctube then both lamps. Also they have an antenna for reliable ignition on standard ignitors. The higher xenon pressure in HG-free HPS lamps, like in the european Super HPS lamps with mercury, preserves the electrodes for longer while also greatly improves lumen maintenance so these lamps have 95% of their initial brightness after 24,000 hours. Therefore they have more life then standard HPS lamps. Usually they are rated for 28,000 hours and the european Philips Master SON PIA HG-Free HPS lamps have a rated life of even 32,000 to 50% failures.

gailgrove:
at mercuryvaporrocks I had a petition to try to stop them replacing the Twist-Paks lights on my street with cobra heads, while it never worked I meet with the local counslers and they didn`t like them either , however it was up to the works department (I also meet with) but in the end they where replaced  >:(

icefoglights:
Here in Alaska the LEDs have been popping up like dandelions.  Fairbanks started out with a test installation in high profile areas, and now have been putting them up anytime roadwork or street light work is done.  Anchorage is replacing 16,000 HPS lights with LEDs.  Valdez is replacing it's 343 street lights with LEDs.  Even the village of Tanana is replacing it's 8 HPS lights with LEDs, and adding another 14 more.
On the bright side, the State (who maintains most of the roads and streetlights in my area) is so far staying faithful to their HPS M400s.

joe_347V:
I recently saw some LED lights that have popped up on some side streets in Vaughan, ON which replaced some HPS cobras.

The good thing though is that none of the other towns and cities are installing LEDs or any other new light sources as far as I know currently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version