Lamps > Modern

High Intensity Discharge lamps 101

<< < (4/4)

Jace the Gull:

--- Quote from: Medved on November 02, 2010, 01:40:06 AM ---I think this would be related to the fact, then programmed start are more expensive anyway, so there is more budget room to make more robust protection. Moreover the lamp EOL shutdown make quite huge difference in ballast component life, as the "permanent ignition mode" mean very severe stress on them.

--- End quote ---

Well for where I worked....programmed start on motion detector was newer installation...while the older installation remained instant start when they added the motion detector (they weren't motion detected before...

Medved:
Adding motion detector to IS ballast is a nonsense. No wonder they fail sooner - the starting cause for the whole system way more stress then on programmed start (the generation of the necessary higher voltage for start mean currents in the circuit are way larger)

merc:

--- Quote from: Medved on October 28, 2010, 06:43:20 AM ---I think there is one other mistake:
"Lamps sensitive to mains variation": It are not lamps, what are sensitive, but their ballasts. On regulated ballast they would be fine as well, same as e.g. MV. The problem is, ten the cheapest regulated ballasts is a form of constant current source, what is fine with MV's, but make the HPS thermally unstable. However the "Mag-Reg" ballast style would be fine, as this type decouple the load characteristics from the line regulation property.
And these days electronic ballasts do the regulation job even better, however are more expensive (and i do not mean those cheap LOA-like high frequency lamp killers) and quite sensitive (overvoltage spikes, temperature)

--- End quote ---
While reading it I recall your warning at LG that one should never use HF electronic ballasts for MV lamps.
So those ballasts you speak about here are low frequency ones (what frequency?), I suppose.
Am I right they could be used also for MV lamps (provided OCV and current parameters are correct and ignitor turned off)?
The only reason why they don't exist is the fact that when electronic ballasts appeared, MV lamps had already been almost phased out, too rare to bother with developing electronic ballasts for them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version