Questions On The Code > General Discussions on Code

Listing of recalls.

(1/3) > >>

Vince:
Today at maths, I had some ideas for the GoL forum. The first one is the following:

Let's put in this topic all recalls about electric products here. All recalls about products safety are accepted. That way, everyone on the site could be aware of all major safety issues with several household electric appliances. Let's take a good example of what you could possibly add here:

Cooper Lighting Recalls Fluorescent Shop Lights Due to Electrical Shock Hazard.

I've put this recall on Lighting Gallery a while ago. This recalls applies to Cooper fluorescent shoplights made between December 1, 2006 and September 14, 2007. They have some issues with electrical shock hazard.

So, if you find on the net a recall for anything electric that could possibly be dangerous (a fire hazard or electrical shock hazard, whatever), Add a link here! It is optional, but a small description would be appreciated. ;)

A_lights:
I bet that recall was due to some really cheap electronic ballasts and that most people dont usually touch the plug prongs while installing the lamps. The Altos probably dont help the situation either :) and i have had a commercial electric one that would shock me after i unplugged it if i touched the prongs, it was sure a nasty shock.

Adderall:

--- Quote from: A_lights on April 11, 2010, 08:48:14 PM ---I bet that recall was due to some really cheap electronic ballasts and that most people dont usually touch the plug prongs while installing the lamps. The Altos probably dont help the situation either :) and i have had a commercial electric one that would shock me after i unplugged it if i touched the prongs, it was sure a nasty shock.

--- End quote ---

I think it means when you touch the prongs after its unplugged.  Once its unplugged from the outlet, its not expected that the device will produce a shock.

I had a Lights of  America that did exactly this.

mercuryvaporrocks:
I heard American Electric recalled some of their outdoor lighting fixtures too.

Medved:
@Adderall: This is drawback of high power factor ballasts: Their capacitors are able to "give" such shock few seconds after unplugging. Normally this is fixed by discharging resistor, but this mean extra 1..2W power dissipation, so ballast losses during normal operation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version