The Site > General discussion

AJC - Cool Traffic Lights a Hazard

<< < (2/2)

rjluna2:

--- Quote from: TiCoune66 on December 18, 2009, 05:12:58 PM ---Yeah, when traffic lights are defective, the intersection becomes a 4-way stop. If possible, flashing red lights replace the lights' program.

--- End quote ---
The problem is that there may be prevailing wind in certain direction that could cover one part of the direction of the traffic signal.  There is no way that the driver would know the other direction may be masked.

Medved:
If i remember well (i'm living in Europe, where "4way stop" system  is not used, so i do not know the law exactly in all details), the "4way stop" mean you have to wait, till all approaching cars stop before proceeding. So if your light is blocked, you stop and wait for other direction to do so as well. If the other direction does not stop, they have likely green, so you would have to stop anyway. If the other direction is stopped on their RED, you just continue after your stop. And if you see approaching car from the distance, you have to be able to judge, if it is safe to proceed before it arrive, otherwise just keep standing and wait, what it would do.
Following this no severe accident could happen.

By the way on most places in US i've seen signal lights BEHIND the crossing, so you are able to see, what is signaled to other directions as well, so i think it is easy to judge, what to do, when "your" signals do not work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version