Questions On The Code > Construction Specifics

Installing grounded outlet without grounding wire (USA)

(1/2) > >>

Nelson:
Hello everyone,

I may need to install a standard grounded outlet on a circuit that does not have a safety grounding wire (it only has a two-wire cable). I seem to remember that you could safely and legally do that as long as you used a GFCI outlet. First of all, is that true? If so, do I have to buy a special GFCI for that purpose?

Thanks,
Nelson

Mike:
I'm not positive on how you would set up something like that. A GFCI sounds reasonable, but they're a bit more expensive.

Vince:
According to the Canadian Electrical Code, if no grounding is available, you must use a device that properly detects current leaks (to ground or you!). A GFCI outlet is acceptable, and so is a standard outlet with a GFCI breaker.

Now the NEC serves as a base for the Canadian Code, so I guess it's pretty much the same.

Nelson:
Thanks for the replies. I am installing an outlet on an old lighting circuit. It may be grounded, but because of its age and because it was previously used only for lights, it may very well be ungrounded.

Jace the Gull:
Houses from 1962 and later all HAD to have grounding outlets...but before 1962 did not require it.

If the wires are armored cable, those can be substituted as grounding, as long you have those metal conducts be connected to some sort of grounding...I am not sure on all the details though...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version