Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/disaster/public_html/sanriovillage.com/galleryoflights/mb/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Any Incandescent Signals Left?
HOME      GALLERY      HELP      SEARCH FORUM      LOGIN      REGISTER     
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2018, 05:56:27 AM

+  Gallery of Lights
|-+  Lanterns/Fixtures
| |-+  Traffic Lights
| | |-+  Any Incandescent Signals Left?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Any Incandescent Signals Left?  (Read 4491 times)
joe_347V
Administrator
Professional lighting engineer

Dat LPS...

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »

So, with the advent of LED how many signals in your area are still incandescent. For mine I know of three or so intersections in Vaughan that are still mostly incandescent, and until recently there was a pedestrian crossing in Toronto that was still incandescent.

Aside from this, I know most signals installed in Toronto before '09 or so still have incandescent yellow lights.
Report to moderator   Logged

Brought to you by 347V Electric Ltd.

Tired of orange lights? Our all new Ceram-Arc Ceramic Metal Halide lamps are the solution. They even use up to a 1/3 less energy than our Orange 40™ lamps and the competing Seagull Vapour lamps.

Warning: Do not fold, spindle, and/or mutilate post(s).
Mike

This Image Brought to You by: McCann Lighting Co.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »

There are a number of incandescent signals in the urban areas of RI such as Providence and East Providence. Most in Pawtucket are LED and all in Cranston are LED.

Jace the Gull
Administrator and trouble shooter of the website.
Administrator
Lighting expert

jecwhiz
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »

We still have some incandescents.... I will say about 1/3 of allllllll traffic light signals in MD are still incandescents and they do still get relamped too! It seems mostly its city or county or even electrical company ones are incandescents

The most recent newly incandescent was in 2008, but recently retrofitted to LED though

Ceramethane GulliVapor™ Lights and Smells better than the 347V branded Ceram-Arc Ceramic Metal Halide lamps!!!! Need to save more energy? Try the new GUL-LED Lights!<br /><br />Using Internet Explorer is equal to peeing in a public swimming pool. It\\\'s rude, there\\\'s no excuse for it at all, who
Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:47:37 PM »

Here once the lamp dies, it's LED time except for the ones in bad sections where it's faster and safer to just relamp it.

Jace the Gull
Administrator and trouble shooter of the website.
Administrator
Lighting expert

jecwhiz
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:50:47 AM »

Here once the lamp dies, it's LED time except for the ones in bad sections where it's faster and safer to just relamp it.

relamp and RUN.. eh? ..but any chance those could be actually city owned???

In MD not all intersections are actually state owned....some are actually city owned or county owned and  more of those tend to stay incandescent.......

Ceramethane GulliVapor™ Lights and Smells better than the 347V branded Ceram-Arc Ceramic Metal Halide lamps!!!! Need to save more energy? Try the new GUL-LED Lights!<br /><br />Using Internet Explorer is equal to peeing in a public swimming pool. It\\\'s rude, there\\\'s no excuse for it at all, who
Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 03:00:46 PM »

They could be incandescent but since Rhode Island is so small RIDOT might own them all. Just like how NGrid owns a good portion of freeway lights, which are usually owned and maintained by the DOT. There are still a number of incandescent ped signals in southeastern MA, but their traffic signals have been LED as long as I've been around. Some yellow lights around here are still incandescent but when they die it's LED time.

I see some really small controllers in Providence and East Providence (electro-mechanical??) but lately downtown Providence has been getting all of the signals, poles, and equipment replaced. Now the downtown areas are mainly black LED siemens signals with fancy cast poles and black mast arms. RIDOT owns the MH acorns in downtown Providence but any cobraheads are owned by NGrid and are on satin aluminum poles (or wooden, though all of downtown providence is pretty much underground when it comes to distribution.

joe_347V
Administrator

Dat LPS...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 01:42:12 AM »

Ah interesting, I know of some more incandescent signals scattered around the Halton Region area and a few in Guelph. I think Ottawa and Windsor still has a good number of incandescent signals left though. Oh, and parts of Trenton and Belleville still use incandescent signals too. Here's a shot of some of the last incandescent signals in my area:

Most signals here are either owned by the city or the county. The MTO usually only owns the signals on offramps and on provincial highways. Some of the signals in Toronto are pretty old (like Eagle Flatback, Crouse Hinds Type M, 60s era CGEs) but they have all been retrofitted to LED.   

Tired of orange lights? Our all new Ceram-Arc Ceramic Metal Halide lamps are the solution. They even use up to a 1/3 less energy than our Orange 40™ lamps and the competing Seagull Vapour lamps.

mercuryvaporrocks
Lighting enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »

There's still many incandescent traffic signals in my town.
zenith

The Renegade

http://www.facebook.com/m
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »

I still see incandescent lights around here, mostly on less-busy roads.

"Floating down / as colors fill the light / We look up from the ground / in fields of paperwhite / And floating up / you pass us in the night / A future gazing out / a past to overwrite  / So come down / far below / We've been waiting to collect the things you know"
joe_347V
Administrator

Dat LPS...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 01:53:59 AM »

A little update to this thread, the signals is the picture I posted have since been retrofitted to LED. I did manage to find a lone incandescent signal in Toronto that was a missout though.

Oakville still has a small amount of incandescent signals left too. I also managed to find another a GE Type F controller box in Toronto but it looks like it's been purposed and the guts are gone. 

M30

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 02:28:35 AM »

In New York City, a lot of incandescent amber signal indications still remain; however, they are dwindling.
zenith

The Renegade

http://www.facebook.com/m
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »

Just drove all over Oklahoma recently and most of theirs are still incandescent...of course it also looks like their infrastructure in general has been neglected over the last few years.

"Floating down / as colors fill the light / We look up from the ground / in fields of paperwhite / And floating up / you pass us in the night / A future gazing out / a past to overwrite  / So come down / far below / We've been waiting to collect the things you know"
joe_347V
Administrator

Dat LPS...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 04:11:47 AM »

Alliston, ON is still incandescent from my last trip there a couple of weeks ago. It looks like they stopped relamping them as more LED spot replacement inserts have popped between then and the last time I was there. slightly off topic I also found out the flashing advance green in Cookstown got replaced with a conventional green arrow advance.

I was surprised to find a pair of signals near Queens Park in downtown Toronto that still had incandescent amber lights last week, I guess the city forgot about them when they replaced all the remaining incandescent ambers downtown with LEDs.

Kelvin3157

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 12:08:51 AM »

There's still a lot of Ambers in Toronto that still exist. There's some along the bike path intersections in North York and Scarborough, and some along the Westway.

Some of intersections don't have the reflective backplates installed unlike the other intersections around it that has newer LEDs and backplates.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:12:06 AM by Kelvin3157 » Report to moderator   Logged
joe_347V
Administrator

Dat LPS...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 04:06:47 AM »

Hmm thats's a lot more incandescent ambers left than I thought. North York used to have a ton of incandescent ambers but they either replaced (CGE) or converted to LED (Fortran/Econolite) them in 2016ish.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length