Questions On The Code > Construction Specifics

GFCI on 240 Volt Circuit? (USA)

(1/3) > >>

Nelson:
So when you install a 120V outlet in a wet area such as a bathroom or garage, you must use a GFCI outlet or breaker. Is the same true if you install a 240V outlet? If so, where would I find a 240V GFCI outlet or breaker? I've never seen one. I ask because I'm considering installing a 240V 20A outlet in my garage for lighting experiments.

-Nelson

joe_347V:
I'm not sure about the GFCI requirements for 240V circuits but I've seen 20A double pole GFCI breakers before like this one that should work on a 240V circuit but they're not cheap.

Vince:
It depends of your panel brand. Chances are you have either a Square D, Siemen or Federal Pioneer panel.

In a more "illegal" way, if it is illegal, is to install two single pole GFCI breakers if you can't find a double-pole model. However if you do so, each line will be independant, meaning that one line could stay live if a short happens. You could try to place a pin running in the hole of the toggles to join them together, you'd only have to test and purposely overload of short a line to see if one toggle is strong enough to trip both beakers. If it does, there will be no difference with a standard double-pole breaker!

I can make an explanation pic if it isn't totally clear LOL  ;D

joe_347V:
I've heard of something called a handle tie that does the same thing as the pin that Vince suggested but I'm not sure if they're code complaint.

Nelson:
I understand exactly what you are saying, Vince! Also a good idea about the handle tie. Just to clarify, I don't really want a GFCI protected 240V outlet. I was just wondering if it is code required, and only if it is, how to provide the protection. From my research, I don't think its code required, so I'm not going to worry about it.

By the way, the panel is a Cutler-Hammer. My main panel in the house is a Square D QO load center, but the sub panels are CH.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version