Questions On The Code > Construction Specifics

Installing grounded outlet without grounding wire (USA)

<< < (2/2)

Nelson:
As I was afraid, it is only a two-wire ungrounded circuit as seen here. For now, I will use an old stock two-wire outlet until I find a good deal on a GFCI. I may find that I don't need a grounded outlet anyway.

Vince:
Installing an ungrounded outlet as a replacement is actually permitted. And even if it's "illegal", it is not really dangerous. The reason being, you can only connect 2-prong cords into those, unless you cut the ground pin on a 3-prong cord, but that's another story!

If you make sure you strip and loop the wires properly (with a nice C shape that should close and form an O when you tight the screw terminal), there will be no problem or danger.

Jace the Gull:

--- Quote from: Nelson on August 14, 2011, 06:30:59 PM ---As I was afraid, it is only a two-wire ungrounded circuit as seen here. For now, I will use an old stock two-wire outlet until I find a good deal on a GFCI. I may find that I don't need a grounded outlet anyway.

--- End quote ---

They STILL make 2 prong outlets for replacements actually! You will find them in Home Depot or Lowes. The reason they make the 2 prong outlets is to prevent plugging in anything that uses grounding!!! I mean if you installed a outlet with grounding but not wiring it and someone PLUGGED in something that uses grounding and there was a problem.....that's why the 2 prong outlets are STILL made, ONLY for replacements, not for new installations.

Nelson:
Yeah, I don't see any danger in using a two-prong outlet in this case. As far as wire termination, I am using stranded THHN with crimp spade terminals that fit under the screw heads. Now that the job is done, it really looks nice and works well, too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version