Lanterns/Fixtures > Antique

Ever seen the old knob & tube wiring of the 1880s - 1930s?

<< < (4/4)

Nevada Willis:
Thanks for the welcome.

There is a bunch of lighting stuff under wildhorseguy on YouTube.  I haven't put up the street lights yet but I'm still getting that part of the collection going.  You'll see there is also a bunch of horse stuff on YouTube which explains why sometimes I'm around to chat on the forum and at other times I'm tied up.

Take care, all.  You're motivating me to get my street lights back in order.

By the way, for you younger members, I collected the Joslyn back when I was 14.  My neighbor and I would go down to the town dump with a dollar and bring back two gumball street lights, complete with 6 ft. arms, balanced across our bicycle handlebars.  We'd clean them up, wire them and install new bulbs and sell them for $7.50 each.  That was about $5.00 profit per lamp, pretty good for kids back in 1966.

The one in the collection I dropped when I hit a pothole in the street and broke the refractor.  So I hung it from a single guy truss arm and used it as a light over a gate at the ranch until recently when I found a replacement refractor and moved it to the collection.

So you're never too young or too old for streetlights.

":O) Willis

joe_347V:
Welcome to GoL from me too!

Whoa it looks like you know a lot about lighting and electrical systems, thanks for sharing all that info here. I've visited your website before and it also looks like you have a awesome collection of streetlights and traffic signals too.   

Best Regards,

Joseph

gailgrove:
My house has aluminum wiring  ::) (it was built with it) but they used copper switches and outlets so I have been upgrading them slowly with aluminum ones, I would like to totaly re-wire my house with a 200 amp service but my family doesn't like the idea of having the walls ripped apart  :D

Vince:

--- Quote from: gailgrove on July 23, 2010, 11:46:16 AM ---My house has aluminum wiring  ::) (it was built with it) but they used copper switches and outlets so I have been upgrading them slowly with aluminum ones, I would like to totaly re-wire my house with a 200 amp service but my family doesn't like the idea of having the walls ripped apart  :D

--- End quote ---

Gotta be careful with aluminum, make sure you sure CO-ALR devices. It's been proven that AL/CU switches and outlets are dangerous to use with aluminum wiring! Today most ordinary outlets and switches clearly says not to use them with aluminum.

The thing is that AL-CU devices use brass screws, which have a different expansion coefficient than aluminum. This cause the connexions to get loose with time. CO-ALR devices use different metals for the screws to solve this problem.

But the best thing would be to replace cables with copper eventually ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version