Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/disaster/public_html/sanriovillage.com/galleryoflights/mb/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
THe Off Topic, Topic!!!!
HOME      GALLERY      HELP      SEARCH FORUM      LOGIN      REGISTER     
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2018, 06:11:59 AM

+  Gallery of Lights
|-+  Unrelated Stuff
| |-+  Forum Games
| | |-+  THe Off Topic, Topic!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 Print
Author Topic: THe Off Topic, Topic!!!!  (Read 285470 times)
DimBulb

View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: August 28, 2018, 06:56:57 PM »

Yeah prom what I understand GoL was founded because of a major rift between LG admins at the time. During that time the LG leadership was purged and basically the current lineup was created out of it. I think partly to blame was that there were too many admins with different views on how the site should be moderated so they had shrunk it down to I think two admins (plus the webmaster) and rather recently added one (or two?) admins.

It's too bad this site died off a few years ago. I liked this site because it was a smaller community and mostly street light-based rather than fluorescent-based like LG.
Hopefully I'm still welcome here even though my main interest is fluorescent lighting! Wink I am interested in street lights too and still have a few.
Report to moderator   Logged
Mike
Professional lighting engineer

This Image Brought to You by: McCann Lighting Co.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2866 on: August 28, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »

LOL of course you're welcomed here. Cool I love fluorescent lighting too. Seems like a lot of LG members are exclusively fluorescent or incandescent oriented or are into HID lamps and gear but not the street lights themselves. I tend to go through phases where I'm more into fluorescent and where I'm more into street lights. I guess a lot depends on what I can find at the time. Seems like new pieces come in waves.

lightingfan8902

My favorite lamp. High Pressure Sodium.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2867 on: August 28, 2018, 08:44:40 PM »

Speaking of streetlights, I found a rare Cooper OVW at an underpass, and its 150w HPS! Plus I also found a Black Cooper OVW at an intersection. A super rare one! From the other day.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:47:35 PM by lightingfan8902 » Report to moderator   Logged

HPS lamps are my favorite! High Pressure Sodium High Pressure Sodium High Pressure Sodium
xmaslightguy

View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: August 28, 2018, 09:39:56 PM »

I'm a bit surprised that they'd close the whole site for a bit to let things cool off ... but I also didn't see what went down earlier today.

There's a couple guys on there that I can't stand, could even say I truly hate one of them.

--------------
I tend to separate my stuff out between the sites:
GOL has for the most part become where I post streelights & HID (with an occasional fluorescent or Christmas light)..
LG is where I post Fluorescent, Christmas, LED, & Incandescent (and an occasional streetlight)
ATL & TLR i don't visit or post on  as often, what I do post is a mixture of the types that go on LG & GOL..

..I do wish this site was more active, doesn't seem to me many uploads or comments anymore.

Favorite fluorescent .. the F40T12 (especially love the colored ones like: Red Gold Green Blue Gro-Lux etc )
ZarlogH46

View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: August 28, 2018, 10:38:09 PM »

Well, it's back up, at least for now.
joe_347V
Administrator

Dat LPS...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2870 on: August 29, 2018, 12:24:39 AM »

Yeah back when GoL was more active, I used to post mainly streetlighting and HID content on here and stuff like lamps and fluorescent lighting when on LG. Unfortunately GoL kinda died off over the past year with less and less activity. So I started posted more or less the same content to both sites. It also didn't help that at the same time, most of the streetlights in my area got changed out to LED so there isn't anything that unique for me to post.

I'm totally out of the loop about the site drama (everyone keeps saying there is drama but no one wants to talk about it). I understand you guys keeping quiet because you have suspicions, not concrete knowledge of who's involved but I don't agree with this "inner circle" management LG has always had. The admins love to say there's a problem but fail to inform the general populous on key details. They're always too broad. When someone commits a crime in real life, record of it can be obtained rather freely from the authority having jurisdiction. On LG everything is a secret. Roll Eyes I'm also talking about date codes. IMO there should be a form sublet all about date codes with different brands and how to decipher them. Instead they keep everyone in the dark and expect people to figure it out on their own.

Yeah, the admins there always like to mention that there's drama but never specifically mentioned anything relating to it, only threats of bans and stuff. Another thing is I find that admins seem to be quite inconsistent, some are more laid back and some are more overzealous about things. Yeah the date code thing annoyed me when I first joined. Fortunately I was able to obtain some of it from PMing members but that's about it.

I don't know much about what happened either, all I know is some members are fighting and therefore they decided to shut down the entire site. I think I know who one of them is, if you want to know I can PM you. I just didn't want to post it out on the open here since I don't want to give this site a bad image. I also agree that having every little mishap kept a secret isn't good. Everyone should be informed of all the details whenever something goes wrong rather than locking every thread on it and not replying.

I have a hunch about happened too, can you PM me about it?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:31:31 AM by joe_347V » Report to moderator   Logged

Brought to you by 347V Electric Ltd.

Tired of orange lights? Our all new Ceram-Arc Ceramic Metal Halide lamps are the solution. They even use up to a 1/3 less energy than our Orange 40™ lamps and the competing Seagull Vapour lamps.

Warning: Do not fold, spindle, and/or mutilate post(s).
GEsoftwhite100watts
Lighting enthusiast

Old florescents forever!

View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: August 30, 2018, 01:44:08 AM »

I did get the announcement email re: LG.  I haven't yet tried the site as I've been busy.  It'd be a real shame if it went away permanently, I know that much!  I don't even want to know how many perfectly good hours I blew off on that site over the course of about 7 years. 

Lighting, vintage electrical, tube radios, old stereos, wooden boats, excavators, glass insulators, and many others.
Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2872 on: September 01, 2018, 08:36:25 PM »

LOL yeah not sure about LG, but I've blown 58 days of my life on this site! Shocked Grin Apparently I'm the most frequented visitor of the site followed by Ian, Joe, and Jace. We don't see much of Ian or Jace so they must just spend their time on here checking the site out rather than being active.

joe_347V
Administrator

Dat LPS...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2873 on: September 01, 2018, 08:39:18 PM »

Interesting stats lol. Although for me it might have been me leaving a GoL tab open on my browser while browsing something else on the internet lol. It was only recently I set my account to autologout after 60 mins. Mainly since the log off feature dosen't work for me and I have to delete cookies to log out.

Brought to you by 347V Electric Ltd.

Tired of orange lights? Our all new Ceram-Arc Ceramic Metal Halide lamps are the solution. They even use up to a 1/3 less energy than our Orange 40™ lamps and the competing Seagull Vapour lamps.

Warning: Do not fold, spindle, and/or mutilate post(s).
Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2874 on: September 01, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »

Ah yeah I just stay logged in 24/7 basically anything I've signed up for lol. When I clean up my browser it logs me out of everything but the usernames and passwords are already filled in when I open the pages so all I do is click the "keep my signed in" box and click "sign in" and I'm back to normal. The "online" time thing must only work while the user has the site opened in a browser or else I'd have like 10+ years for a time lol.

GEsoftwhite100watts
Lighting enthusiast

Old florescents forever!

View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: September 01, 2018, 11:03:45 PM »

58 days?  Someone and I were just discussing how many hours of our lives we've blown off on another hobby...

Lighting, vintage electrical, tube radios, old stereos, wooden boats, excavators, glass insulators, and many others.
ZarlogH46

View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: September 02, 2018, 12:29:28 AM »

LOL yeah not sure about LG, but I've blown 58 days of my life on this site! Shocked Grin Apparently I'm the most frequented visitor of the site followed by Ian, Joe, and Jace. We don't see much of Ian or Jace so they must just spend their time on here checking the site out rather than being active.
Daaaaaamn that's impressive. I'm curious to know how long I have spent on LG, then again I am known for leaving tabs open for hours without doing anything with them. Tongue
GEsoftwhite100watts
Lighting enthusiast

Old florescents forever!

View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: September 02, 2018, 12:30:48 AM »

That may have increased the hours...

xmaslightguy

View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: September 20, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Mike link
all I do is click the "keep my signed in" box
It would be nice if that box still worked on this site...
(used to, but no longer does. probably related to whatever the webhost did earlier this year that messed up things on the site)

Favorite fluorescent .. the F40T12 (especially love the colored ones like: Red Gold Green Blue Gro-Lux etc )
xmaslightguy

View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: September 20, 2018, 09:37:55 PM »

Anyone know what went down on LG today with the "Things Which Annoy You" forum topic??
There's a message that simply says: "This topic has been moved temporarily until we can figure out what to do. It may or may not be back"

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length