HOME      GALLERY      HELP      SEARCH FORUM      LOGIN      REGISTER     
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 03:54:02 AM

+  Gallery of Lights
|-+  Unrelated Stuff
| |-+  Forum Games
| | |-+  THe Off Topic, Topic!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] Print
Author Topic: THe Off Topic, Topic!!!!  (Read 243282 times)
Mike
Professional lighting engineer

This Image Brought to You by: McCann Lighting Co.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2820 on: December 02, 2017, 11:03:38 PM »

Before 2014 there were no LED street lights here and at that time, they were just confined to brand-new RIDOT installations. Then in 2016 mass changeouts began with RIDOT and a few larger cities in RI. So far there haven't been any catastrophic failures and the lights haven't been around long enough to see how they will age. Most of the issues have been with the wireless nodes everyone but Cranston has used when going LED. Cranston opted for traditional photocells, except they're fail-off instead of standard fail-on, so dayburners are eliminated. Those fail off DTL photocells have not been holding up too well either. The original batch must've been botched or something since replacement units are holding up fine. The fixtures themselves (AEL Autobahns) seem to be holding up well. I've seen two failures in Cranston out of 33 thousand lights so that's not bad at all. Granted there are probably a few more I don't know about but the vast majority of failures are the PCs. The PCs have a blue indicator light on them so when the blue light is on and the fixture is off, the fixture is bad. When the blue light is off and the fixture is off, the PC is bad. The blue LED is really hard to see when the light functions normally though; you can really only see it when the fixture is bad, and it's very faint. Honestly the only reason I noticed it was because mine has the feature. The blue LED is always on as long as the PC has power (and isn't dead).

Report to moderator   Logged

GEsoftwhite100watts
Lighting enthusiast

Old florescents forever!

View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: December 02, 2017, 11:12:48 PM »

My university is full of illuminated waffle irons, and they have those node PCs you describe.  At night, from upper floor windows of buildings, you can see indicator LEDs flashing.  LOL.
Report to moderator   Logged

Lighting, vintage electrical, tube radios, old stereos, wooden boats, excavators, glass insulators, and many others.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length