HOME      GALLERY      HELP      SEARCH FORUM      LOGIN      REGISTER     
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 25, 2017, 03:53:17 AM

+  Gallery of Lights
|-+  Unrelated Stuff
| |-+  Forum Games
| | |-+  THe Off Topic, Topic!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] Print
Author Topic: THe Off Topic, Topic!!!!  (Read 199563 times)
joe_347V
Administrator
Professional lighting engineer

Dat LPS...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2760 on: March 20, 2017, 12:13:51 AM »

I'm mostly into HID and the older or the oddball fluorescents. I'm fine with LED but I consider them to be expendable so I use them in fixtures that don't have much collection value. Low wattage HID is also quite interesting.

I don't mind seeing a retrofitted 8ft slimline as long as they didn't totally butcher the fixture trying to install the retrofit. I prefer retrofitting with 8' T8s but properly installed T8 tandem kits are passable.

I found some pretty nice HID finds at Restore today, got a 175w GE made in US merc from 1998 and a 450w 120v Durotest PS coated SBMV, both appear to be NOS or very lightly used.
Report to moderator   Logged

Brought to you by 347V Electric Ltd.

Tired of orange lights? Our all new Ceram-Arc Ceramic Metal Halide lamps are the solution. They even use up to a 1/3 less energy than our Orange 40™ lamps and the competing Seagull Vapour lamps.

Warning: Do not fold, spindle, and/or mutilate post(s).
GEsoftwhite100watts
Lighting enthusiast

Old florescents forever!

View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »

Same here, I don't mind the T8 retrofits; what I DO mind are the chop jobs.

Lighting, vintage electrical, tube radios, old stereos, wooden boats, excavators, glass insulators, and many others.
Mike

This Image Brought to You by: McCann Lighting Co.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2762 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:49 AM »

With HID indoors, you often find places way overlit. I think since it's lower CRI you need the extra light to make the store not look dingy? Not sure...

I'm primarily into street lighting (including utility-grade flood lighting and area lighting [aka NEMAs]) but I also like HIDs in general and most magnetic fluorescent fixtures (even some T8s if they're a cool enough design). I also like some traffic signals. Not into specific brands of them but I'd like to emulate RIDOT set-ups, particularly their R-Y-Y 12-12-8 crosswalk set-up.

ZarlogH46

View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: March 20, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »

I am mainly interested in outdoor and street lighting too. Fluorescent just doesn't interest me that much.
Mike

This Image Brought to You by: McCann Lighting Co.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2764 on: March 20, 2017, 08:14:51 PM »

I also like low-wattage incandescent street lights too. I have a late 50s Wheeler crescent moon (sometimes called bird claw) shade light. I'd LOVE to get my hands on a radial wave that is in decent shape (not rotted through and tarnished on the underside) but most left out there today are rotting away. Some teenager would throw a rock at the light or shoot it with a BB gun to blow the bulb out for fun and chip off the ceramic coating on the reflector. The exposed steel would rust and eventually rot through. If the chip was on top, water might even collect and the rust might spread all over.

The amazing thing about the glazed ceramic/porcelain reflectors is that after decades of crap building up on them, as long as there are no chips in the glazing, they will come clean as new with a nice soapy soaked cloth (non-abrasive is a must!) and relatively little effort. Painted reflectors or exposed aluminum reflectors with no enclosure (i.e. refractor with gasket) will tarnish. With painted reflectors a new coat of paint solves the problem but with bare aluminum reflectors, other than sanding it down and buffing it out, there's not much you can do. I usually just hit it with some really fine grit sandpaper that's been soaked in water and gently sand it. It usually lifts off most of the tarnishing without leaving huge gouges in the metal.

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length