Lanterns/Fixtures > News about Lanterns/Fixtures

American Electric 327 Series metal halide version discontinued

(1/3) > >>

chapman84:
As of April 2017, American Electric no longer offers a metal halide version for their largest cobrahead, the American Electric 327 Series. Now it's only available in 1000 watt high pressure sodium.

joe_347V:
I wonder why those chose to get rid of the MH version first, I'd always though that places that would use a 1kW cobrahead would order the MH version more since you can still run 1kW MV on them and 1kW MH looks better than 1kW HPS anyway.

Mike:
I would think the same thing but I know some utilities actually offer 1000W HPS cobraheads. I think NGrid does/did in New York, but never in RI or MA.

chapman84:
Duquesne Light has 1000 watt high pressure sodium listed in their street lighting tariffs, but they don't offer them for new installations.

chapman84:

--- Quote from: joe_347V on April 15, 2017, 12:53:40 PM ---I wonder why those chose to get rid of the MH version first, I'd always though that places that would use a 1kW cobrahead would order the MH version more since you can still run 1kW MV on them and 1kW MH looks better than 1kW HPS anyway.

--- End quote ---

And now if you want to order a 1000 watt metal halide street light, good luck unless you can find one on ebay because none of the lighting manufacturers make them anymore. I like the metal halide versions better too, but because they have a shorter life and higher maintenance costs than high pressure sodium or mercury vapor, they were never regularly used by most utility companies unless municipalities requested them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version