Lanterns/Fixtures > Street View Links

Is this a OV-25

(1/1)

Model25FanForever:
This looks like a OV-25 but it has a different look to it compared to all the other OV-25's ive seen

Mike:
Yep that's an american OV-25. the canadian OV-25s look like this one in Darren's (Lite Lover's) gallery. It has a more blunt front than the original american OV-25 seen here. I'm not sure why the Canadian OV-25s looked different from the American ones but the american ones had a larger front where the latch is. The Canadian ones I've always called "blunt nose OV-25s" if I don't just say "Canadian OV-25s". Here in the states, they stopped making the traditional siverliners in the 70s some time and replaced them with with lights known as the L-150 and L-250 (though they still sold them as OV-15 and OV-25). When that happened, Canadian OV-25s got the blunt nose (or they may have gotten the blunt nose before then) and the OV-15s up there had the PC socket position moded to the front.

Todat Cooper makes the Canadian versions of the OV-15 and OV-25 today but they don't offer them in silver. Just the regular gray, brown, black, white, or bare/unpainted.

joe_347V:
That's the rarest style of OV-25 in Ontario. I only know of a few in Markham. Oddly enough even the 1957 Flatbottom OV-25 is more plentiful that those.

Anyway I believe the Canadian blunt nose model came out in the late 70s or so probably when L series Silverliners were introduced. I know that the older ones were made by Westy though since those have the Westy logo on the door. The OV-15 didn't get redesigned until the mid 80s or so though. The newer Cooper OV-15s also have the blunt nose, the PC socket got centred too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version