Lanterns/Fixtures > Traffic Lights

Does anybody know why peel region made this change?

(1/4) > >>

Model25FanForever:

I don't understand why Peel Region stopped making the signals hang down.  They've used these centered ones for at least 5-10 years here. They look tacky on some poles. I just wanted to know why they made this change.

joe_347V:
York Region changed over from the cushioned hangers (left pic) to the plumbizer mount (right pic) around ten years ago too.

I think they changed them over for several reasons, the hanger mounts get misaligned easier and sometimes swings up in strong winds which reduces the signal visibility. The plumbizer also reduces stresses at the top section as the signal is supported from the centre instead of the top. The old aluminium heads didn't have a problem with this but the plastic heads that they use now has less tensile strength and break easier so they switched the mounting. The final reason is that the with the plumbizer, signals not in use can be rotated around the arm to face down so the driver's don't see the not in use head. Signals mounted on the old hangers had to be covered up with burlap.

When York Region switched to the plumbizer mount around ten years ago they mounted the signal arms lower on the pole to account for the different mounting position but they didn't do that for poles that had a fixed arm position.

I prefer the older hangers too, on some arms like the double guy arms the new mount looks really tacky. 

Model25FanForever:
Thanks Joe. I have actually wondered my whole life here why they changed them over. I have seen one fall off a pole due to a thunderstorm. Strong wind gusts broke it off. I do prefer the hangers over the plumbizer. I saw in Bolton, they use plumbizers on double guy arms. It looks horrible to say the least.

Some of them are really odd. Its like they removed the hanger mounts and then put it back on as a plumbizer. I never saw what they did but I bet you have seen it before.  :P  ;)

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=Williams+parkway+and+dixie&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x882b161e7a572205:0x480e82df2b4f8aaf,Dixie+Rd+%26+Williams+Pkwy,+Brampton,+ON&gl=ca&ei=2ffQUYqND6m2yAGmgIHYAQ&ved=0CC8Q8gEwAA

joe_347V:
No problem, the stuff I got was from what other collectors said and some of my own guesses.

The intersection you linked too has the old CGE aluminium heads (which never originally used plumbizers from what I know) so I guess someone took the time the time to uncouple the red from the amber and stick the plumbizer in. I have no clue why though and plus half the CGEs there still sport the original hangers.  ??? :8)

When York Region retrofitted their signals in 2003-2006, the poly incandescent heads got LEDs and stayed on hangers (few got switched to plumbizers) but the CGE and Eagle Mark IV aluminium heads were scrapped and replaced with Eagle Durasigs on plumbizers.

Even though the plumbizers are supposed to be better, I still like the hangers too. They look better too. Toronto still uses them for 12-8-8 heads and some 12-12-12 heads. And plus plumbizers slapped on to double guy arms look like wrong. Markham has some intersections like that.

Model25FanForever:
I still see a lot of the hangers. They are disappearing really fast and Plumbized signals are the majority here for a while.  Most of the intersections with the original hangers got replaced by LED plumbizers with Cooper OVX's. York region I don't see CGE hangers there at all. Toronto uses both, except they only use plumbizers for advanced turns. Thanks for answering my question though. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version