Lanterns/Fixtures > Antique

Ever seen the old knob & tube wiring of the 1880s - 1930s?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Jace the Gull:
Man that is awesome! Thank you for sharing this....I did suspect about the edision screw wall outlets...but never actually saw an actual one nor a picture of one...Although I have a replica of an old catalog and the appliance has shown Edison bases on the ends of the wires

Do you know roughly when did they come out with regular outlets with 2 holes (minus grounding?)

I saw your webpage and was SOOO impressed with your collection and the streetlights and all.....and decided to invite you here!

Welcome to Galleryoflights.org

I and the members in this webpage collects streetlights, bulbs, old electrical stuff, starters, and all sorts of things! I really hope you will enjoy this page!!!

rjluna2:
You can still use the modern wiring through or around the old knob and still serves purpose :D

Nevada Willis:
OK, here's the history as I know it.

Edison invented the Edison base (or Edison Screw) and Mazda patented it.  Around 1904 Hubbell patented the blade type recepticle / plug system.  Here's where things got weird.

Some electric companies charged different rates for lighting and appliances, lighting costing less.  Prior to large dynamos providing electricity, motors and heating elements such as toasters put a pretty good load on the system.  So in some areas buildings were wired for light and also separately for appliances.

Light receptacles used Edison screw connections and appliance receptacles used Hubbell blade receptacles.  Wall outlets for table lamps had Edison screw sockets.  Outlets for toasters in the kitchen, for example, were Hubbell blades.

Only one problem.  For a few cents folks could go out and buy Edison to Hubbell adapters and beat the system.  So by around 1915 the electric rates were standardized and pretty much all new receptacles were the Hubbell blade type.

Jace the Gull:
Wow amazing! When did polarized outlets come out? I have seen pretty old ones have them already.......Also got any good information about grounding and when did they come out? I know Grounding became standard and must be used in all places by 1962-1963...

Vince:
Welcome to Gallery Of Lights!  :)

I think you have a YouTube account right? If I'm right, you also seem to have a lot of knowledge about traffic lights (and also electric systems as I can see!). Hope you'll enjoy the site!

Best regards,

Vince.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version