Questions On The Code > General Discussions on Code

Electrical Fire

<< < (3/11) > >>

seansy59:

--- Quote from: streetlight98 on November 25, 2011, 10:58:03 PM ---I can home from my uncle's house and his garage's lights are wired to indoor extension cords and plug into an outlet!!! :o The actuall garage door lights and door motor are properly connected thankfully. He has two incandescent JB lights and a four lamp T12 wrap light in there- UNGROUNDED! And he REFUSES to get it wired properly! :o ??? :8)

--- End quote ---

I used extension cords to wire my lights. But they are 3 wire grounded at least.
I now use 3 wire replacement 16ga. stranded cord at home depot. Its $0.50 a foot, and then I wire a grounded plug on there. Its the stuff mostly used for tools, appliances, vacuums, etc. That makes it code compliant, safer, and sometimes its cheaper.

Mike:
Once his mind is made up, there's NO way to change it. We'll have to wait for his garage to burn down with his new car inside to change his mind unfourtunatly. :-\ The good thing is, if he does agree to get it fixed (if he does he surely won't let me do it >:() the outlet is grounded so it is possible to add grounded wiring. I'll draw him up a diagram on how it would ideally be, and how he can get it to code.

joe_347V:
Depending on how the garage is you might have to use conduit to meet code.

Mike:
The garage is unfinished inside, but in good structural condition. Good variety of spider webs too. :P

joe_347V:
Check up with the NEC or Jace but I BELIEVE that you can use romex in unfinished garages under certain circumstances.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version