Lamps > Modern

How to fix a dead Penning mixture HPS lamp?

(1/1)

merc:
I'm not kidding.  :)
I've got three of them - two are OK, one is dead. It makes metallic rattling sound when shaken. Doesn't do anything when powered using a proper ballast.

I've heard about using a microwave oven for a few seconds which can "activate" some HID lamps but I don't know if it is fine for this kind of lamp. What are other non-invasive methods? (Using high voltage...?)

I might try to open it (I suppose it won't be too much different from opening a coated MV lamp - wrapping it by sellotape to prevent fragments from shattering the arc tube during implosion, putting it into a few plastic bags and using a hammer).
I can play with the bimetal then - it looks the same as in lamps that work fine but something inside produces that rattling sound so it might be someway broken. What else could be wrong while repairable?
If I were successful in fixing it, I could find a replacement "jar" to make a new lamp. The performance would be definitely worse than that of the original lamp because of cooling the arc tube by air in that jar but it might work, I think.

I don't know what is that ring near the base - see below...? PIA?

Does anybody have an experience in fixing lamps like this or better to let trash it ecologically because something like this isn't worth trying? Thanks!

An unknown ring? PIA...?

Solanaceae:
I'd say either put it in the microwave, use as neon sign/ fly back transformer, or a instant start Ballast wired for 4x overdrive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version