Lamps > Modern

MH to HPS Conversions.

<< < (2/2)

Lumalux:
This is a little off-topic, but I know of two recent instances where parking garages originally outfitted with MH fixtures were converted over to fluorescent.  In one case, they replaced the MH fixtures with 4 foot fluorescent fixtures; in the other they simply disconnected the MH ballast and installed self-ballasted helical CFLs directly into the MH fixtures.  Building management previously had replaced the MH bulbs with LED retrofits (which provided good light but many began to fail within one year), so they began replacement with CFLs.  The light from the CFLs is very good and mimics that of a DX mercury vapor.

The problem with using MH in installations like parking garages (where they burn continuously) is that they never get turned off periodically as advised. I forget why this is required but it has to do with the capsule cooling. If left to burn continuously, they are prone to explode.

lights*plus:

--- Quote from: Lumalux on February 20, 2014, 12:57:49 PM ---The problem with using MH in installations like parking garages (where they burn continuously) is that they never get turned off periodically as advised. I forget why this is required but it has to do with the capsule cooling. If left to burn continuously, they are prone to explode.

--- End quote ---

Simple failure is more likely. At any rate, converting away from M-H is a cost costing measure from having to relamp often and the uneven appearance of M-H before or after relamping.

I've noticed that cheaper M-H lamps, those without "scandia" incorporated in the arc-tube (used to prevent depletion of scandium) become markedly dimmed after a burn-in period. The more expensive M-H lamps, with scandia in the composition of arc-tubes, remain bright and evenly white.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version