Questions On The Code > Construction Specifics

GFCI on 240 Volt Circuit? (USA)

<< < (3/3)

Jace the Gull:

--- Quote from: streetlight98 on September 03, 2011, 04:48:55 PM ---
My garage, kitchen, and unfinished parts of my basement don't use GFCIs. The kichen outlet nearest the slider door does and the bathrooms do and so does outside, but other than that all the outlets in my house are standard.

--- End quote ---

How old is your house, it may just be because it's an older house

The current codes for the newest houses and new additions, follow what is on the current codes....if you build a new room...or whatever...then follow codes...but if you replace......it is better to replace to new codes...but it is not REQUIRED..

Mike:
My house is from 2003

joe_347V:
My house is from November 1982 and only had a GFCI breaker controlling the garage and backyard outlets. The rest were all regular outlets.

I've since replaced all the bathroom outlets to new GFCI ones...the kitchen ones need a expensive 15A double pole breaker for each outlet since they're 15A MWBCs.

Vince:
My house is from 1978 and there is NO GFCI outlets anywhere but in the bathroom (and it replaced the original razor outlet!). Today's average bungalow has at least 3 or 4 of them LOL.

You guys would be surprised sometimes how many code violations you can see on the field, even in new constructions!

--- Quote from: Nelson on September 03, 2011, 05:40:36 PM ---I just thought of a potential problem with tying two single-pole GFCI breakers together. GFCIs work by measuring the difference in current flow between the hot and neutral wires. If I tie two single-pole GFCI breakers together and connect a 240-volt load, current will flow between the hot wires, not between hot and ground. That will cause the GFCI(s) to trip. I learned that one time when I tried to install a GFCI outlet on a three-wire circuit! The hot wire current does not always equal the neutral wire current on a three-wire circuit or on a 240 volt circuit.

So, if I did install a GFCI, it would have to be a specially designed device for 240 volt circuits like the one Joe mentioned.

--- End quote ---

You are totally right here, didn't think of that! XD However this trick could work with standard of AFCI breakers.

Silverliner14B:
GFCI outlets have been required in houses in the USA since 1975. Most likely for the bathrooms first, then later required for other parts of the house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version