The Site > General discussion

GE Cobraheads

<< < (3/4) > >>

ranger_x_80000:
Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody can Identify this style of the Truss Armed Cobra Head Light Poles from the New Jersey Turnpike in this picture from Flickr.com: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildmann59/2785613250/

I was needing to know information such as the name of the Manufacturer.

Thanks a million in advance. :-)

Jace the Gull:
Yep I have seen them myself...they are the older GE M-250R from 1970-1985...most likely they are 1985 since I saw the reflector design when I drove through......

ranger_x_80000:
And was also wondering about the steel/aluminum "Truss Arm" style pole itself that holds the GE M-250R Cobra-Head. Was it Millerbernd or Pfaff & Kendal that manufactured the Light poles with that style of Truss Arms? This was one of the few style Light Poles & that I've admired so much from all the way back from when I was a toddler--- from all the times we took the NJTP to and/or through New Jersey. The other style of lamp posts I've also admired were the ones the routes 202 & 303 near Allentown, Pennsylvania and what they used to have on the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Jace the Gull:

--- Quote from: ranger_x_80000 on November 17, 2011, 04:10:24 PM ---And was also wondering about the steel/aluminum "Truss Arm" style pole itself that holds the GE M-250R Cobra-Head. Was it Millerbernd or Pfaff & Kendal that manufactured the Light poles with that style of Truss Arms? This was one of the few style Light Poles & that I've admired so much from all the way back from when I was a toddler--- from all the times we took the NJTP to and/or through New Jersey. The other style of lamp posts I've also admired were the ones the routes 202 & 303 near Allentown, Pennsylvania and what they used to have on the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

--- End quote ---

I am not too sure, but I will see if I can find out.....I have the same memory too....I was actually on the Delaware Bridge when they were changing them over....one bridge had all the cobraheads while the other one had the new Holophane Mongoose fixtures mounted on top of the ordinal poles...I know orginally there was TWICE as many poles in Delaware Bridge holding Silverliners! But in the 80s or so they removed every other poles and replaced the fixtures with HPS GE M-250R1 FCOs....and NOW arms are removed and Mongoose are slapped onto the top...

Do you know which side the New Jersey or Delaware actually owns those poles?  In Delaware parts of the turnpike had gotten FCO GEs too but the poles are different from NJ, the trusses in Delaware was more tapered in both masts....But now those poles are gone replacing with high masts!!!!

I have video of northern NJ turnpike with one side of the highway has the older setup with the older GE M-250Rs while the other side has the newer ones....if you would like, I will upload that video just for you!

By the way Welcome to GalleryofLights.org!!!!!

slz:
I remember growing up in Worcester MA, noticing Mass Electric starting to install the new HPS M250R2's as early as mid/late 1984. MV and some HPS M150A "Boxy" being installed as early as 1982/83. The M400R2 starting coming around late 1987, early 1988. Worcester had some HPS fixtures downtown and in a few neighborhoods by the mid 80's but was predominately MV (with some incandescents remaining until the city wide HPS conversion of 1989-94). Mass Electric was even installing original M400's up until 1988!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version