Lanterns/Fixtures > Vintage

Vintage Lighting Collection

<< < (2/2)

joe_347V:
Yeah I believe they're owned by the museums in Ottawa but I'm not sure if they're viewable by the public or just a online exhibit. I wonder how they managed to obtain so many T17 and PG lamps and even a /X mercury while all of these are pretty much unobtainium in Canada for the pretty much the last 30 years.

Mike:
Wow I wonder how they got their hands on so much rare stuff too. Even most collectors don't have those things, so it makes me wonder what lengths they had to go through to get those pieces. I wonder how long ago they got them too, since I'd imagine it would have been a little easier to obtain those items back in the era they were produced.

joe_347V:
Same here, I did a bit off Googling and it seems the majority of the lighting collection was amassed in the mid to late 60s. When Ontario Hydro wanted to start electrical history museum in Toronto. During this time it seemed PGs were somewhat common in Canada for streetlighting but I'm not sure about the T17s. The PDF I linked also has a glimpse of the fluorescent display. Fortunately, even though the museum shut down in the late 70s, the collection was kept and transferred to another museum.

Mike:
Interesting. There is a small museum is Pawtucket that is not public that Blackstone Valley Electric had started and had hoped to open to the public but when NGrid bought them out, they shut the project down. I took pictures of all sorts of cool stuff (though the room was dark so they came out kinda "meh"). No street lighting but lots of meters, insulators, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version