Lanterns/Fixtures > Traffic Lights

Does anybody know why peel region made this change?

<< < (2/4) > >>

joe_347V:
Yeah, Toronto does use the plumbizer but only on 12-12-12-12 turn signals and on some 12-12-12 heads.

Here's one of the only pics of a York Region I found before the LED retrofit was done:

Note the hanger mounted CGE signals, incandescent lights, and CGE two section ped signals.

Now, it looks like this:

All the old CGE heads were replaced with Eagle and Fortran heads and the pedestrian signal was orginally replaced with a single section Eagle which later got a Fortran countdown section added in. The right hand light which had a hanger also got swapped with a plumbizer. (Click pic for Streetview)

Also of note are these two intersections in York Region which had hanger mounted CGE heads for almost 10 years after the others were scrapped. They only stayed until recently was because the signals were under MTO jurisdiction (who later retrofitted them) at the time of York Region's signal replacement. That stretch of Hwy. 7 is now under York Region so when the second round of retrofits came last year, they were removed and replaced with Fortran heads.

Model25FanForever:
The 12-12-12-12 turn signals were put higher because of trucks getting too close to hitting them. I see intersections like that older picture with the CGE's still up and untouched by workers. I think they look a lot nicer than the Fortran and Eagle signals. There aren't many CGE's left here. Especially the Ped signals. Most got replaced with Fortran or Eagle Signals. I thought they scrapped them all at the same time.  :o

joe_347V:
Yeah York Region scrapped almost all their CGE signals the same time they did their LED retrofit. Only CGEs left are the flashing beacons and most of those are LED now.

Anyway I think Mississauga and Toronto still have a fair bit of old CGE signals still in use. 

The old CGEs were probably better built than the Eagle Durasig and Fortran signals too. I see some from the 50s and 60s still in use.

Model25FanForever:
Brampton still has some old CGE's in use. The look of the CGE ped signals are so much better than the Fortran and Eagle Durasig. I live near a a few CGE's across the road all in the center. There is even a b2255 there.

joe_347V:
Yeah, the CGE ped signals had a sleeker design than the new signals they've put up here (especially the mixed Eagle/Fortran ones ugh). Pretty well built too, mine weighs around 35 pounds with glass lenses.

There's only CGE beacons left in my neighbourhood, all the CGE ped signals and traffic lights got scrapped in the mid 2000s. :(   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version