Home     Back to forums     Login
Album list     Last uploads     Last comments     Most viewed     Top rated     My Favorites     Search
Home > User galleries > rjluna2 > Sighted Lights/Fixtures
Click to view full size image

Pedestrain Traffic Signal Lights Switchover

Bad news that the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Peactree Street at downtown Atlanta, GA, USA has been switched from incandescent lights to countdown LED pedestrain traffic signal lights this afternoon (2013-8-22)!

integrated_signal_head.jpg CAM01196.jpg 0822131158.jpg IMG-20130823-00130.jpg IMG_2368.JPG
File information
Album name:rjluna2 / Sighted Lights/Fixtures
Lamp Type:Incandescent and LEDs
Filesize:301 KiB
Date added:Aug 23, 2013
Dimensions:1280 x 960 pixels
Displayed:206 times
Color Space:sRGB
DateTime Original:2013:08:22 15:58:32
Exposure Mode:0
Exposure Program:Program
Make:Lg Electronics, Inc.
Favorites:Add to Favorites

Comment 1 to 5 of 5
Page: 1

Hanging Light   [Aug 23, 2013 at 02:14 AM]
Hanging Light
Thats been happening here for a long time now. All our ped signals are LED but about 80% of them have timers. The other 20% are older converted Incandescents where the bottom lense for the walk is disconnected and the top shares the hand and walk signal.

streetlight98   [Aug 23, 2013 at 03:09 AM]
were the incandescent heads polycarbonate? The idea of polycarbonate incandescent signals never sat well with me. With LEDs it's alright though since the LEDs run far cooler. i bet suspended poly heads rock around a lot in the wind too lol.

joe_347V   [Aug 23, 2013 at 03:24 AM]
Was it a full replacement or did they retrofit the light. Over here York Region had LED for 10 years now.

The poly incandescent lights were ok but the lenses tended to brown and crack if the signal stayed the same for too long. That's probably why I preferred glass lenses over poly lenses.

rjluna2   [Oct 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM]
Update: I recently discovered that they replaced with 12-12-12 Dialight LEDS at the same intersection Sad

2013-8-23 11:16 rjluna2 wrote:

They only refitted the pedestrain signal lights. The traffic signal lights are still incandescent in 8-8-8 form along with one 8-8-8-12-12 green/yellow arrow. You can see this at M. L. King, Jr. Dr. and Peachtree St., Atlanta, GA, USA Smile

joe_347V   [Oct 12, 2013 at 03:18 AM]
I guess they did that for two reasons, one is to switch from incandescent to LED and the other is since 8" is getting less and less popular.

Comment 1 to 5 of 5
Page: 1